I picked up 3 of the Stila Magnificent Metal Foil Finish Shadows from www.beautybay.com over a month ago. Despite them being so pricey and after hearing mixed reviews, I just felt I had to bite the bullet and just see what all the fuss was about...
Before I jump in with my thoughts on the shadows, here's what Stila say about their product:
"This runway inspired assortment of high volume metallic, foil finish eye shadows is like nothing you've ever seen and sure to have you channeling your inner rock star. The revolutionary cream-to-powder texture with a magnificent foil finish is buildable enabling you to create a range of looks from a sheer wash of intense shimmer, to a striking, seriously metallic full coverage look.
Included with the magnificent metals foil finish eye shadow is the stay all day liquid eye shadow primer that preps the lids with a unique liquid formula that creates long-lasting adhesion to lids. It can be used with any eye shadow and also extends the wear of eye liner. Primer comes in a dropper for easy, measured application.
Available in 12 gorgeous high volume shades that give the term "heavy metal" a whole new meaning."
I picked up 3 of the shadows in Comex Gold, Comex Copper and Metallic Kitten. I chose those shades because I felt like they would be colours I would use often and be the most versatile when it came to creating a range of looks especially for my Asian and Arab brides who love a lil (or shall I say a lot!) of shimmer shimmer.
Well first off I was quite disappointed with:
1) The amount of product you get. I mean I spent £33.50 on each shadow and to see an small eyeshadow pan in the pot really annoyed me! And although I wish for more product, the pay out is immense once you know how to use it; Which brings me to number 2 ...
2) It is a lil bit trouble some to work with at first simply because the texture of the eyeshadow is quite different to anything I've used and played with before. I did waste quite a bit of product whilst getting used to the shadow before I knew how to apply it with varying opacities.
But when I finally figured out how to use them I fell in love with them! Now you can apply it as a shimmer on the lid without using the primer and the small disc plate used to mix it in, which gives quite a high shimmer/glitter that last for over 24 hours or you can mix it with the primer into a lil paste and then apply it as a foil over the entire lid. The shimmery effect is very intense and looks gorgeous on its own with a bit of liner and mascara whilst the layering of the SMMFFS simply gives a more metallic and solid finish which other glitters or pigments cannot achieve.
How I use it -
I don't mix the product in the disc anymore as it wasted a lot of product the first few times and the shadow never foiled properly on the lid - Maybe the ratio of shadow to primer was off?? So what I eventually did was apply the primer directly on the lid and then either use my fingers or a synthetic brush to pat the shadow on. It gave a lovely 'gold leaf' affect over the lid which lasted absolutely ages and shockingly it did not crease for 7 hours!!
:O Amazing right?
Heres a look I did with the Comex Gold applied only on the centre of the lid. I blended some deep burgundy around it and blended out with a softer maroon shade. I then applied Illamasquas Precision Gel Liner in my usual cat eye shape with an additional wing and copious amounts of mascara. I then used Illamasqua's Precision Ink Liner in Wisom on the lower inner lash line and in between the wings. I finished off by highlighting my browbone with Foxy from my Urban Decay Basics palette.
- It is a unique product and definitely 'revolutionary' as Stila describes it. Texture is very similar to gold leaf which I've used before. (The SMMFFS resembles finely chopped pieces of foil in the pot.)
- Although a similar effect can be made using pigments, the magnificent foils are far superior and give a stronger, more rich look.
- Amazing used as an intense shimmer on lid or built up to a foil finish.
- The primer is brilliant at keeping the shadows in place for a very long time and works fabulous with other shadows to give them longevity too.
- Cute packaging. A mixing disc comes with each shadow as does a small primer bottle.
- The lasting power is lovely too! I never noticed any creasing or changes in the effect for a good few hours. It didn't fade away or budge until I washed my face and even when I scrubbed it a fair bit, I still found glittery remnants everywhere!
- Very pricey considering it is only an eyeshadow.
- Not much product for what you pay, for both the shadow and the tiny primer. Remember to be stingy when using the primer otherwise the effect is dulled down!
- Quite tricky to use at first. Lots of patience and product is needed initially whilst you get used to the textures and build up layers.
Would I repurchase? I'm not sure! They are lovely and very unique so I might break down and get a few more colours however I think I'll hold off on that for a while simply because they are just so expensive.
I hope this helped you guys and any questions, just let me know!
Hi Lovelies, I'm Fox...
And I'm a 26 Year old Human Biologist with over 6 years experience in the Beauty Industry.
Olive Skin with a Yellow undertone. Skin Type - Oily to Oily/Dehydrated.
My Foundation Shades in the following brands -
Star - 031
Forever - Sand 031
Velvet - 30 Beige
Matte - 30 Beige
Le Teint Ultra Tenue - 40 Beige
Total Control Drop Foundation - 08
Sheer Matte - Punjab/Stromboli
Sheer Glow - Punjab/Stromboli
All Day Luminous - Punjab
Velvet Matte Skin Tint - St Moritz
Sensual Skin Enhancer - SX06
Skin Base - SB8/9
Tinted Oil Free Moisturiser - Bisque
Big Easy Complexion Perfector - Beige
Teint Idole Ultra Wear - 049
MUFE HD - 127
MUFE ULTRA HD -
MUFE ULTRA HD Invisible Cover Stick -
Double Wear SIP - Rattan/Tawny
Double Wear Light - 3.0
Double Wear Maximum Cover - Rattan/Tawny
DayWear BB - Light Medium
Studio Fix Fluid - NC30
Studio Skin - 2.3
Traceless Perfecting - Bare Beige/Bisque 04
Traceless Stick - Bisque
Perfect Matte Touch - AMBER
Vanish Seamless Finish Foundation Stick - BUFF
* Product recommendations by me are based on my own experiences and clients of mine. Please note, what works for me, may not work always for you. *
Some products are occasionally sent or sponsored for reviewing purposes.
This will always be stated in the specific blog written piece.
All posts are written honestly and with integrity by the Author.
The Photography is subject to copyright.